Re: Fram Oil Filters

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fram Oil Filters
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:47:47 -0500
Mark Sirota writes:

<<<There are also a lot of different Fram filters.  Anyone know if
this generalization carries across their entire product line?>>>

It would be easier to read the article at
http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html, and in particular the
email from an anonymous Allied Signal engineer
http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilter-fram1.txt but here's a synopsis:

Russ specifically tests 3 filters from Allied Signal (Fram). The one that
gets such poor marks is the $2 one in the Orange can called the Extra Guard
PH8A they sell to the masses. It is also sold under a lot of other names.
The $5 one - the Tough Guard TG8A actually did fairly well. The $10 one
called the Double Guard DG8A has Teflon in it! So there you go: One flako,
one OK, and one superhype.

<<<Lots of race cars use the Fram HP series -- designed to take much
higher pressures.  I use the HP-1 on my Formula Ford, as
recommended by a couple of engine builders.  Do these filters,
not designed for the masses, have the same weaknesses as the
commodity filters?  (I know, I'll have to cut one open and see...)>>>

Send him one.

Paul Foster