Re: Fram Oil Filters

To: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>, <mdebusk@vt.edu>,
Subject: Re: Fram Oil Filters
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:46:09 -0600
IMHO, you've made my point. Fram does a lot of things which cost less than
the processes of its competitors. Hmmmm, the thing still works. Might be
nice to own the Lamborghini, but the Chevy still gets me to work in the
morning.

Fram doesn't have as many pleats as some others. Do I recall on that oil
filter study a mention that too many pleats can end up clogging more easily?
Fram tucks the end of a pleat over another instead of gluing it. Like,
where's it gonna go? Maybe it's nice that some other brand glued the ends,
but did they need to for it to work? (and, in so doing, did they introduce
some foreign material, the glue, that really did not need to be there?) Same
with the bypass valve not spot-welded on but held in place by the end of the
tube and a spring ... where's it gonna go? (No little weld bits to break off
either.)

Looks like, some of the other brands when you cut the end off, you have to
disassemble them. With the Fram, If you cut the end off the internals will
just fall out. Got a solution for that. Don't cut the end off!  :-)

Something else I like about the Fram .. it's right there on the Wal-Mart
shelf when I need it. No mail order. No 10-day wait. No schlepping over to
that specialty speedshop on the other side of town (or the nearest big
city). IOW, I don't feel I need the Lamborghini, so I'm not going to bother
with the hassle of getting one.

And as Bradakis noted, we are getting exercised about the durability of a
unit that should be frequently replaced anyway! Certainly on my race car I
don't get anywhere near 3000 miles between filter changes!

--Rocky