Re: Fram Oil Filters

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fram Oil Filters
From: Ghsharp@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:48:53 EST
In a message dated 1/22/01 3:20:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org writes:

> Okay, here's a question for all y'all.  Why wouldn't you/we/I want our
> street car's oil filter to have no bypass and run "full flow" all the time?
> Especially if you're that meticulous (as I am and suspect the rest of you to
> be as well) about your car maintainance schedule?  I suspect, but am not
> positive, the reason for the bypass to be when the filter gets totally
> clogged with crud that oil will still flow through the system.  Right?
>
> Educate me a bit on the bypass sytem of an oil filter.  Please.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that one of the reasons
for a bypass valve was to maintain oil flow when starting a car in cold
temperatures, when the oil would be thicker and more difficult to force
through the filtering material.  Some engines might see 70-80psi or more
at startup in cold weather.

Could a bypass valve also serve as an anti-drainback valve, or would
that likely be a separate feature?

GH