Pro Solo History

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Pro Solo History
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:57:37 -0500
Since this was asked and/or speculated about:

The oldest Pro Solo rule book that I could find (1986) describes the class
competition as Qualifying.

My recollection from the roughly 1982/83 timeframe that I first ran a Pro
Solo (before SCCA got so heavily involved), was that class competition was
called qualifying then also. However, that was a looong time ago.

This was when tennis balls were still being used on the pylons (. . . have
you ever seen a tennis ball get blown off a pylon by a BP Corvette with
side pipes? I have!!!). Balls would end up all over the courses from a
typical downed cone type hit! I don't remember if they were tethered or
not, but if the were, it didn't make any difference!

Pro Solo has changed a lot over the years. Most changes have been for the
better according to the target audience at the time. I think that most, if
not all, of the planned changes are for the better (all of them from my
perspective). However, if not "King Howard" will adjust . . . like he
always does . . . after watching and listening!

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford