Re: Need help with A-Stock SCCA Rules

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>, "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Need help with A-Stock SCCA Rules
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:57:32 -0500
> Not unless they have been changed recently.  Roll bars may be welded,
> according to my 1998 book.  Has this changed?

No I thought they both could only be bolt-in in Stock.

But it really doesn't matter much since a roll bar in an enclosed car is
typically not much good, at least to me. The issue with 944-type cars is the
A pillar area not the B pillar area.

The issue is that the SEB is afraid that welded in roll cages would be
perceived as an advantage thereby causing everybody who shows up in Topeka
to feel like they have to have one. I think it is pretty weak considering
the other side of the argument is safety. After all, the Comp Board changed
their minds and decided that they would allow welded in roll cages in all
cars after seeing too many cases where the bolt in cage just didn't work. I
think the answer is to require the cage to conform to GCR 18.1.6.c which
pertains to SS, Touring, and IT cars. This will keep people from building
ultralightweight cages from unobtanium in an effort to get the same
torsional ridigity as a Neon. :)

Paul Foster