Re: Need help with A-Stock SCCA Rules

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Need help with A-Stock SCCA Rules
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:40:48 -0500
Hi Jonathan,

If you haven't figured it out yet, Matt Murray is THE GUY to ask questions
about autocrossing your 968, particularly setup questions.

However, I've recently gone the PCA club racing route and I want to bring up
a couple of gotchas.

You can only bolt in your roll bar or roll cage and still be legal in Stock
or even Street Prepared. If you weld it in you are automagically bumped to
Prepared. IMHO, this is wrong and even dangerous but this is the way the
rules are currently written.

If you do plan to drive aggressively at DEs and particularly if you want to
go club racing with the PCA, I strongly encourage you to get a welded in
cage. Your life is not worth the inconvenience of being bumped into classes
where you are not competitive. A roll bar does virtually nothing for the 968
because the car is so damn strong in the B Pillar area, but it is pretty
easy to collapse the A pillar. That's where you really need more protection.

The other big issue is the seat. I have the Recaro SRD myself. It is a great
compromise street/track seat. But it really should have a seat back brace
since the ratchet mechanism can fail under high G loads you might experience
in an incident. This is required for both SCCA and PCA club racing but I
think it is a very good idea to have for DE too.

Also, if you got the SRD with the crotch cutout then use a 5 point harness.
Otherwise, use a 6 point harness and attach the sub straps behind you. If
you take the single sub strap over the front of the seat it will deform the
foam and have too much room to move which makes it virtually useless.

Good luck!

Paul Foster