RE: Supra Classing, was: SM PAX

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Supra Classing, was: SM PAX
From: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:24:12 -0500
Larry Joffe writes:

<<<The other reasons I have heard against the Porsches is also a monetary
one.
Because when you purchase a Porsche new at a dealer they generally cost more
than another car in its class, Howard thinks that a Porsche would cost too
much for the class to prepare!  This is the first time in the history of
Solo II competition that I am aware of that a class is determining a cars
"speed" based on what it would/could cost to build the car1  They are
ASSuming that because it is a Porsche, then it is inherently faster just
because of the name!>>>

I guess he hasn't checked out the newspaper or autotrader.com lately. Good
used 944 Turbos can be had for $6-7K and you can get 375 HP at the rear
wheels with $5K spent on a new turbo, fuel computer, and MAF. Throw in a few
bucks on the suspension and you would have a great street/track/autocross
car.

But Porsches in general get short shrift in the SP classes. Take a look at
the 914/6 listed all alone instead of combined with the 911 line where it
might have half a chance in ASP. But by restricting it to a 2 liter engine
it is cannon fodder. Or the breaks in the 911 line to assure it won't be as
good as it can be by update/backdate. Not to mention the NA 944 just got
moved from ASP to CSP. 170 stock hp with the '89 engine and a 2776 lb car.
That was a real ASP threat for years.

Paul Foster
Appointed arch-enemy of SM