Re: Supra Classing, was: SM PAX

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Supra Classing, was: SM PAX
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:38:25 -0500
"Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net> wrote:

> Ahhh, perception is a wonderful thing.

Perception is a HORRIBLE thing. My life would be very much easier if
everybody had an undistorted view of objective reality, and based their
expressed opinions and actions off that. No such luck. :|

> The perception of SM is slammed Hondas, DSMs, and the like driven/owned
by
> those of Asian descent.

I don't know where you got this "asian descent" thing from. SM is racially
neutral, both in concept and reality.

> The reality is many *very* Caucasian driver/owners
> in Camaros (and slammed Hondas and DSMs).

If you look at http://streetmodified.org/who.html, it looks like our
current makeup is primarily DSMs, then Mustangs second, then a mix of
Hondas, Neons, and Subarus, with some Camaros, Supras, and a couple of
Audis.

The on-the-ground results are a little less DSM-and-Mustang biased. I
attribute the above average DSM and Mustang populations on the website to
my high profile on the DSM online community, the above-average "wiredness"
of DSMs (and the central nature of that wiredness - the center of the DSM
universe is the Talon Digest at dsm.org), and the fact that SM rules are
more turbo friendly than the Rest Of Solo. I think there's something
similar going on on the Mustang side - we have a few high-profile Mustang
guys who have been promoting the hell out of SM on the Mustang online
communities, there's a lot of Mustangs online, and we're subframe-connector
and camshaft friendly.

We're getting a small surge of Subarus for the same reasons.

It's proving to be much harder to reach the Hondas that we first thought.
The Honda community is much more fractured and clannish, and they seem to
be easily intimidated - not suprising when your base vehicle starts off at
a lower performance level than, well... pretty well everything else. But
the Honda community is also easily the largest, so time invested in getting
our message out to them is well invested. Those that do come out have a
good time. :)

> And just so no one misconstrues this, I consider this healthy discussion
> with Kent, Dennis, and others (including Karl :^)   ).

And taken as such. :)

DG