RE: Supra Classing, was: SM PAX

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Supra Classing, was: SM PAX
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:23:43 -0500
"Larry Joffe" <spdrcr5@bigfoot.com> wrote in a fit of misguided passion:

> Here is the reasoning behind the 944/968 banning for 2000 and 2001.
Howard
> Duncan is anti-Porsche.

Oi, Larry....

*sigh*

Howard is decidedly NOT anti-Porsche. In fact, Howard DROVE a Porsche in at
least one Nationals recently, and did pretty damn well in it too.

Howard doesn't want Porsche's in SM because SM is NOT, say again, NOT a
"sports car" class. It's a "sedan/touring car/pony car" class, like Super
Touring, or World Rally Cars.

Howard doesn't want Porsches in SM for the same reason that there are no
Porsches in Speedvision Touring Car, or BTCC, or DTM, or any of the other
"non-sports-car based" racing series out there. Porsches are sports cars.
They also happen to be damned expensive when new.

Please please PLEASE do not go spreading half-truths that make Howard sound
like some sort of Porsche-hating minion of Satan, when he is in fact both
SM and the SCCA Solo program's best friend.

> The rule about the class being "non-sports car based" is supposed to be
> removed for 2001.  Dennis got Howard to remove that rule since it is
> meaningless in the class.

No no NO! I *tried* to get the "sports car based" rule removed because of
the difficulty and vaguery involved with deteriming what defines a "sports
car" Is a Mustang a "sports car:? An Audi TT? A Talon? Depending on who you
talk to, you get different answers, and so it's a royal pain in the ass. I
wanted rules based on easily identifiable physical characteristics (like
"rear engine") but for a variety of different (and PERFECTLY VALID)
reasons, Howard and the SEB passed on this one. We deal with it.

Could we *please* give this a well-deserved rest? The horse is dead, Jim.

DG