Re: [Re: [new to the list...] Racing harness

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>, "Mohler, Jeff" <jeff.mohler@wilcom.com>,
Subject: Re: [Re: [new to the list...] Racing harness
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 00:27:41 -0700
>The problem is also fat helmets.  Helmets that meet newer standards are
>often very large.
=========================
And before someone else says it, fat heads are also a problem.  ;^)

>>If you're too tall in the saddle, just pull down on the harness shoulder
>>straps a little harder.  Wallah, you've instantly got more head room.
>
>If this works, your harness is improperly installed.  The belt which
>restrains your body from going UP should be your lap belt.  The shoulder
>harness should keep you from going forward, and in concert with a decent
>seat, keep your upper body from going sideways.  Spinal compression in a
>crash is no joke.  Of course, crashes are much more likely on the street
>than in an autocross.
>
>Can you recline your seat more to gain headroom?
==============================
I tighten the lap belts as tight as I can pull on the straps and then reach
down and move the seat forward.  The right side harness lap belt fastens to
the seat frame itself and the left side lap belt fastens to the bottom of
the "B" pillar.  Both mount locations are also the factory seat belt mount
locations.  This accomplishes two things for me in my car.  It puts me in my
"racing" seating position which is pretty far forward with my right knee
just a 1/2" from the dash and it also serves to further tighten the lap
belt's hold on me.

I then put my fat XXL helmet on my fat head and pull down the shoulder
straps which come through the upright headrest legs and bolt to the rear
seat belt hold down bolt (it's got the long "floor mount" tail strap).
Since the shoulder belt and tail strap now forms an inverted "V" of sorts
and my seat has rather soft and spongy foam this serves to pull me down in
the seat a bit.  I then slide my butt forward, just a bit, in order to gain
a little more head room.  My helmet now just barely touches the headliner
but I don't notice it when I'm racing.  The real problem is that I'm 6'1"
with a 30" inseam.  You figure out where all of my height is concentrated.
Just call me Torso Man.  ;^)

I much prefer an upright seating position and often wish my Neon's seat had
just one more forward adjustment notch for the seatback.  With a fat helmet
on my noggin that would put my helmet smack dab in contact with the
headliner but for every day street driving it would be a welcome
modification.  I'd much prefer a true racing seat that sat a couple of
inches lower and a roll bar, with a harness bar of some sort, onto which I
could properly mount the harness.

Eh, in my case it's a Stock Class car and every dang one of 'em has their
own inherent shortcomings that must be dealt with, fixed or just plain
overlooked.  Maybe someday when I get a real dedicated race car I can fix
these problems but for now I'll just make do with what I've got.

Of course, YMMV.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

"Dolphin Safe Tuna"
It's okay, as long as you're not a Tuna.