Re: Tires

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tires
From: "Sean Long" <seanlong@micron.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:44:38 -0600
I'm just a new guy so my opinion might not be worth much, but I found that
the relatively simple upgrade of race tires dramatically increased how much
I enjoyed autox.  Racing my '98 Firebird on my all season street tires was
an exercise in frustration.  Sure, the car handled predictably and I was
learning the car, but I found that I ended up picking up some bad habits
that bit me when I went to BFG R1's.  The performance feedback cues are
completely different.

My suggestion is for now race what ya got just like everyone else says, but
go out of your way to save your nickles and dimes for another set of wheels
and race tires.  This single upgrade bumped me from the middle of the local
group of novices to nearly the level of the experienced guys and showed me
exactly what my car can really do.  The experience will be different with
other cars and drivers of course, but it seems to me that the first step of
getting race tires (not just sticky street tires, but real autox tires)
ought to be made as soon as practical especially if you plan on racing more
than a couple of times a year.

It'll also save wear and tear on your daily driving tires which in some
cases are more expensive than race tires.  Lots of places offer original
equipment takeoffs for much less than new designer alloy wheels, so you can
save some money that way.  Also keep an eye out for people getting rid of an
extra set of wheels and/or tires.  You can sometimes find tires that have
been raced on a few times for next to nothing.  If you race on your street
tires especially on concrete, you're going to tear them up and will
eventually end up spending lots more money replacing them early.

My opinion only of course.

Sean Long
'98 TA, FS