Re: drag racin' fun

To: Jeff Winchell <Jeff@Winchell.Com>
Subject: Re: drag racin' fun
From: Joshua Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:44:22 -0700
Jeff Winchell wrote:

> I run with arm restraints. However at the rare drag race I attended
> last night, I was informed that NHRA rules require the top up too.
>
> Seems kind of unsafe to me. If the car rolls, the flimsy wire in my
> convertible top is more likely to puncture something (like me) than
> protect anything.

        Convertible tops? yeah, I don't think they're worth much at all for
rollover protection. They can protect you from debris though.

> In SCCA Solo I, they told me to put the top down (and roll the
> windows down since the broken glass in a roll over is only likely to
> make more of a mess and offers no real protection).

        It's interesting to note the reasons behind some of the safety
requirements. There are different clubs, and they have different
requirements. Each with their own reasons. I've heard windows up, -and-
windows down for high speed events. Windows down doesn't make too much
sense to me. I've been in a rollover, admittedly low speed, and the
windows certainly stayed intact long enough to keep my arm from flopping
out the window had I not been gripping the steering wheel firmly.
Automotive glass isn't -that- fragile. Yes, in a high speed
flipin'-n-tumblin' rollover, those windows are all history. However, in
that case, you've got a whole lot more to worry about than having your
arm fly out the window. Like "Oh Sh*t. I think I'm in trouble.".

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/