Re: Effects of Current Rules - an Observation

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: Effects of Current Rules - an Observation
From: Rob Foley <103535.536@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:18:44 -0500
>Lacking the history you have in the sport, I'm curious why specific
>allowances are such a big deal.  Is there a reason that we can't just have
>a list of car types and allowances in addition to the general stock rules?

<snip>

Stock and Street prepared allowances have been written to apply as blanket
preparation limits which will apply equally to every car listed.  Some cars
will fair advantageously under some of these rules, some sure won't.
Every car has a weakness or vice.  Neons have bad motor mounts.  Yup.  But
they also have lots of camber capability alot of cars don't.  So do we
allow Hondas which are net build to do a camber modification as a
competition adjustment if we give Neons a better motor mount?  So Honda
drivers can spend less money on tires that don't cord the outside edge?
See?  Where does it stop?  Who quantifies these things?  This is the
infamous "slippery slope".

>Sure, I can see that.  I don't particularly think that there should be a
>blanket "make motor mounts whatever you want" or "use subframe connectors"
>or "18" wheels can be 17" wheels" across stock just to fix specific
>instance problems (things like changing cam chain tensioners and other
>mods that have no performance advantage i do thing should be allowed
>across the board).  It seems like it comes up so often just in the short
>time I've been involved that I'm surprised someone hasn't addressed it
>with a specific allowances list for particular car models.

Much of what has been proposed  on this type of stuff have been blanket
allowance rules.  But think what might happen if one category or car gets a
gimme.  Is it going to stop at one or a few?

>I don't have much sympathy for anyone that has 19 days of vacation... :-)

Ok, Point taken there ;-)......but I have been suffering with the same
employer since I got out of school in '87.  And I only had 12 days 3 years
ago.

>Seriously, I know that I certainly appreciate the time that the various
>higher ups in the SOLO world put in.  I'd like to help out as well, but it
>doesn't seem like many people want to listen to what a newcomer has to
>say.  In any event, I hope you realize that a request or suggestion to
>change something doesn't mean I don't appreciate the work that went before
>or the effort you're making now.

No problem at all.  My ears and eyes are open.  Helpful suggestions come
from everywhere.  I'm just trying to promote some rational discussion.

Rob Foley