Re: Effects of Current Rules - an Observation

To: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Effects of Current Rules - an Observation
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:19:32 -0500

> But it's SO far from what we have now that the effort to get there
> would be tremendous -- and given that what we have isn't exactly
> wrong, I don't think it's worth the effort.

I keep hearing about how much effort something like this would take, and I'm not
sure that there's really _that_ much extra effort required.

I dunno, maybe it's the ex-soldier in me, but I don't see any insurmountable
obstacles. Do it nice and slow, phase it in in steps, and place the majority of
the legwork on those asking for the changes.

The biggest hurdle seems to be taking the step that breaks with the tradition
that allowed modifications are applied across the board. Once the mental leap is
made that individual allowences for individual cars are OK, then the rest gets a
little easier to swallow.

If I were the King of the SCCA, I'd try and locate 3 or 4 commonly requested "I
Stock" items that I and the SEB felt would have minimal negative impact on class
balance - Neon motor mounts is a good one, so's that timing chain tensioner.
Subframe connectors... I'd probably pass on that one to start. Put those
allowences into the rule book, and see how that works out.

If the world doesn't end (and that's a pretty good risk) then you open the door
for other allowences - BUT - you require a very detailed and standardized
proposal be prepared for each proposed change. If you want an allowence for Car
X, then you're going to have to document - in extreme detail - EXACTLY what
effects your allowence are going to have (with experimental proof, when
applicable).

If a proposal comes in not prepared according to standard, then the SEB doesn't
even open it. This way, you cut down a lot of the cruft, and leave only the
submissions from people who have done their homework, and who are motivated
enough to do the work required to make their case.

I certainly don't think the SEB should be actively looking to balance out the
classes, they should be reviewing member requests for allowences, the theory
being that people with a legit complaint will do what they have to do to get it
resolved.

> It'll be years before you can get even 10 cars equalized in that one
> class, never mind the dozens of others.

That's fine. People with a legit cause will do the legwork and balance their
corner of the class. Those with only a small case may well decide it's not worth
the effort. The imputus to equalize cars comes from the members, and moves at
their pace.

> Okay, so the current system doesn't work for underdogs in the slowest
> available class -- but neither does yours.

Sure it does. The gross underdogs get more and more allowences until the class
is balanced or the owners decide that the paperwork is more bother than the
performance difference. :)

> But the effort to get there is monumental, and what we have
> basically works for almost everyone.

There's that effort thing again....

Concider this though - if the system we have now really is pretty good, then the
number of cars with legit cases should be fairly small. This means a relatively
small number of allowences made - and relatively little chance for negative
impact.

That means people with no axe to grind aren't hurt, and people with a legit axe
finally get it ground. Everybody wins! :)

Wouldn't it be nice to never have to talk about Neon motor mounts et. al. ever
again?

DG