Re: Effects of Current Rules - an Observation

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Effects of Current Rules - an Observation
From: A4autox@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:51:27 EST
In a message dated 1/28/99 11:53:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
patmac@tridelta.com writes:

<<
 > 2) Competitor A and Competitor B trade wins at almost every event, and are
in a
 > tight race for a year-end championship. No car is dominant. A needs 2 more
wins
 > to wrap up the championship, and goes looking for rules infractions
 > _specifically to take B out of contention_ (that's important) and finds the
 > wheels. Weenie? Tough call. B is most definatly in the wrong by the letter
of
 > the rules, but all he's done is make his car competitive. A doesn't want to
 > chance being beaten on the track, and is fishing. While this isn't weenie
by the
 > rules, it sure _smells_ like weenie by intent....

     WRONG!! a wennie protest would be to toss paper on the missing cigarette
lighter, or missing piece of rubber molding, if "B" was running to large of
wheels, to bad, he was cheating and more than likely wouldn't have been
winning in the first place with the correct wheels, but "A" should have gone
to him and said, "hey, your wheels are not legal, you need to change them to
the right ones or I will have to protest you" I would like to think that "B"
would not knowingly run illegally and change them right away, but if he
doesn't then tough, he's cheating.
 I know first hand what a differance 1/2" wider wheels make in handelling
(8"ers on the front of a 993 it push's like a pig, put on 81/2" wheels with
the same tires, and it turns in on a dime!) I am the last person that wants to
toss paper, I will always talk to the competitor first, but no more second
chances, I learned that the hard way!
       Curt Ormiston