Re: Cooling Fluids & Fuel lines

To: phyrman5@earthlink.net, Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu,
Subject: Re: Cooling Fluids & Fuel lines
From: JACranwell@cs.com
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:39:59 EDT
Surely, this depends on the quality of the copper piping?

I've had a copper pipe between my clutch master and slave cylinder for 10
years, and no cracks. This is significant, as this is a pipe which is subject
to constant movement, as the engine/gearbox flex on their mounts. I did put a
few coiol turns in it to help avoid concentration of stress.

More importantly, auto shops in the UK sell brake lines only in copper. I've
replaced most of mine with copper over the last year. I can't see this being
permitted in such a regulated country, if there were any danger of
deterioration. Also the road-worthiness test is extremely strict, and if this
were a dangerous practice, the car would be failed.

This is more than a philosophical question, as the brake lines across the
rear axle do suffer from some movement, as the cylinders move in their
guides, under braking.

Julian Cranwell - Surrey UK