Re: Cooling Fluids & Fuel lines

To: Steven Graham <sjgraham@bigpond.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling Fluids & Fuel lines
From: rgibbs@pacbell.net
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 09:27:52 -0800
Steven Graham wrote:

> I know it has been mentioned before but I still am not sure on the best
> corosion protection for my Alpine.
snip

Water and conventional antifreeze is my strong recommendation.

Using soluable oil and water apparently has been in practice for a long time.
The thermal conductivity of this mix is not as good as water or
water/antifreeze,
this mix has no corrosion inhibitors although I understand that it works well
in
iron passages.

Modern antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors which is evidently very effective
with
modern aluminum alloys (and probably equally effective with the alloys used in
the Alpine).  You will need to change the antifreeze periodically as the
inhibitors are consumed over time.

I am in the minority here, but I do not see an advantage to using distilled
water. Unless you are boiling off coolant, in which case the use of hard water
will cause the buildup of scale. But if your system is working properly the use
of tap water should not cause scale buildup. Pure water is not an inhert
liquid,
the molecules have a strong affinity to join to something. In your engine pure
water will want to join with (corrode) the internal metal parts.  But again,
new
antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors which prevent this.

-Roger