Re: Cooling Fluids & Fuel lines

To: sjgraham@bigpond.com
Subject: Re: Cooling Fluids & Fuel lines
From: Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu (Christopher Albers)
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 08:28:18 -0700
sjgraham@bigpond.com writes:
>I know it has been mentioned before but I still am not sure on the best
>corosion protection for my Alpine. I have spent considerable money
>repairing
>the head due to corrosion, the result of to long in storage etc. My
>local
>Rootes supplier suggests distilled water with a small quantity of
>soluble
>oil is far better than commercial coolant inhibiters. What is the
>recommended balance of distilled water and coolant inhibiter, or soluble
>oil?

Distilled water is a good idea, not using antifreeze is not.  I'd mix
the two 50/50.  Antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors in it because most
modern engines use quite a bit of aluminum (though better stuff than
ours) in them.  Another option is to stick an anode (term?) in the
radiator.  I have seen these sold in JC Whitney & the like.  They work
with the normal corrosion process to draw the corrosion away from the
parts you want to keep to the anode.  But their effectiveness is
suspect, if not dubious.  I am not an expert.  Perhaps someone else
might know if these things really work.  I've not heard of the oil idea
before.

>Also, I am replacing a bodgy fuel line and have obtained new copper
>line the
>same OD as the existing steel, any problems with this solution?

Can't imagine there being a problem except that copper conducts heat
better than steel, which may lead to vapor lock.  If you do it,
insulate the line.

CNA