Re: Cooling Fluids & Fuel lines

To: Steven Graham <sjgraham@bigpond.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling Fluids & Fuel lines
From: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 09:54:05 -0700
Steven Graham wrote:
> corosion protection for my Alpine. I have spent considerable money repairing
> the head due to corrosion, the result of to long in storage etc. My local
> Rootes supplier suggests distilled water with a small quantity of soluble
> oil is far better than commercial coolant inhibiters. What is the
> recommended balance of distilled water and coolant inhibiter, or soluble
> oil?

Just use Prestone or the new extended life (orange) anti-freeze and
distilled water (De-ionized is what it is called now I think) at a 50/50
mixture and, as an option, use Redline oil's "water wetter" is about the
best. The soluble oil is the stuff that the machinist's use to cool and
lube their cutting tools. I have heard people mention using it, but it's
intent was for lubricating water pump bearings/seals (or something like
that), but it won't hurt anything.

> Also, I am replacing a body fuel line and have obtained new copper line the
> same OD as the existing steel, any problems with this solution?

YES, DON'T USE IT.
Steve, never, never use copper as a replacement for OEM steel lines.
Why? It will crack from vibration very soon. Please use the steel brake
line material as your replacement to keep your Alpine safe from fire.
Jan

--