Re: [6pack] OT: 6-pack Forums / Cross posting

To: '6pack List' <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] OT: 6-pack Forums / Cross posting
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:08:51 +0000
I belong to several online communities, all but the 6-pack list are web based
forums and they work fine with much richer capabilities than what we have here
for presenting and sharing information at least. I think the difference for me
is that I have no personal commitment or sense of ownership in the 6pack forum
simply because I have made no personal investment in it and formed no bond
with that community.

If someone posts a problem to the 6pack list, I'm probably going to research
it a bit even if I don't know the sender and don't know the answer off the top
of my head and it will bother me if a problem is posed here and we don't see
someone suggesting a solution within a short time, often seconds, usually
hours. I have an established virtual relationship with the people that hang
out here that I don't currently have with the Forum folks.

One other advantage of the email based distribution for me is that I use
Outlook in cached mode so all of my mail is here on my laptop whether I am
connected or not and I have 6pack mail going back years. Outlook has pretty
good search capability now so even if I am on a plane planning my next winter
TR projects I can reach back into the 6pack correspondence and find some
useful data. Cant (yet) do that with a web based forum.

Stan