Re: [6pack] OT: 6-pack Forums / Cross posting

To: 6pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] OT: 6-pack Forums / Cross posting
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:55:51 +0000
Advantages of the 6pack mailing list:

It comes via email so it comes to you, you don't have to go to it.
If you live in email, interaction is pretty much instant
If you travel a lot as I do and rely on mobile devices, the list works as well
on my phone as it does on my laptop
It has been around for a long time so there is a well established community
It is probably harder to find and to subscribe than web based forums
Newbies are well tolerated

Disadvantages of the 6pack mailing list:

Old tech, no text formatting, no pictures, no attachments, message size
limitations, irritating approach for preventing people from just replying to a
message to preserve the original context.

The forum solves most of the disadvantages (not sure about attachments beyond
images, eg can I share a spreadsheet ?). The big disadvantages are that it
would be different, it is web based and not email based although some forums
let you subscribe to a topic so you get notified of new postings that you want
to track more closely. Also you could be a God here in the 6pack list and a
noob in the forum until you have spent some time there and the regulars get to
know you.

In the end it is the communities that are the value, not the technology so the
6pack list will die when people stop participating or it is taken away.
Clearly the Forum is an active and growing community.

Stan