Re: [6pack] Early vs Late Head

To: standardtriumph@btinternet.com (John Macartney)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Early vs Late Head
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:09:00 -0800
 John---Other than the diameter of the exhaust valves, every other
indication is that of the later head. Port spacing, head thickness and
the like.  Guess it will just remain a mystery.

Dick

standardtriumph@btinternet.com(John Macartney)  To:
tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)

Dick Taylor wrote:
Being the original owner of my '73, I
know that neither the head, valves or their seats had been previously
replaced or altered.
All of the Big Three parts books show that the '73 uses the smaller
valves. The '72 uses the larger ones. The build date on my car was
August, 1973.

John---Any ideas?

Hi, Dick
Hum, ha, er....
Can't answer that one, though I'd be surprised an earlier model head was
hanging around in Engine Assembly for that long. Of course it could
happen but I'd be surprised if it was. The only thing that springs to
mind is that the original head - the one fitted when the engine was
built - may have been found to be defective in some way. Maybe it blew
out its core plugs and got warped and another head was fitted before
shipment or after unloading in the US, before delivery to the selling
dealer. If that was the case, probably they didn't have the latest head
available and just stuffed on one they had in parts stock.
Do you have a Heritage Certificate to compare the engine numbers? It's a
costly way to verify but the fact the whole engine could have been
changed at some point early on in the car's life and before you got it
can't be ruled out.
Both are long shots and sorry I can't add anything further to what I've
said.
Cheers, John