RE: [6pack] Early vs Late Head

To: vance.navarrette@intel.com (Navarrette, Vance)
Subject: RE: [6pack] Early vs Late Head
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:48:51 -0800
Vance---I finally took the time to look at all records of work done,
before and after I started doing my own. I have them all, even from the
first oil change when the '73 was still under new car warranty. I found
nothing in these bulging manilla envelopes that suggests that the valves
were changed and the seats altered to fit. This
would've been an expense item too large to be overlooked by me or a
shop.

I have had the valves ground three times by outside shops during the
last 25 years. The valves were replaced the last time, but I furnished
the valves. (Stainless exhaust, as were the originals)

Remember that forced induction engines get away with murder when it
comes to breathing,
If larger valves causes a power drop, I wouldn't know it. The car runs
better than any of the dozens of TRs I've driven, even in the naturally
aspirated mode.  Then again, maybe I'm partial to my pet of 34 years!?

Dick

vance.navarrette@intel.com(Navarrette, Vance)
                Dick:
                Ummm. Have you had the
engine overhauled before? Could the machine shop have upgraded the valve
size as part of a rebuild?
                If you do some judicious
reshaping of the combustion chamber in the vicinity of the valve, then
this will be good for some power. If the chambers were left stock, then
most likely power fell or stayed the same.
                Cheers,
                Vance