RE: [6pack] Early vs Late Head

To: "Robert Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>, "Robert Breazeale"
Subject: RE: [6pack] Early vs Late Head
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:17:34 -0800
        rml:

        I would add that the compression on the later head is lower, so
you will want to mill the later head to regain compression. And as long
as you are doing that, you might as well mill it enough to bring it up
to about 9.5:1 (or even higher if you are willing to run premium gas). I
*think* the earlier heads were 8.5:1 stock.
        According to my Desktop dyno software, raising the compression
on a later head from 7.75:1 to 9.5:1 adds 12HP. What that ignores is
that the power is added throughout the entire rev range not just top
end, *AND* fuel economy goes up as well.
        So between the improved breathing of the late head and manifold,
and increasing the compression via milling the engine really comes
alive. You can keep up with Miatas pretty easily.

        Vance