RE: [6pack] Moss supercharging question

To: Joseph Grant <grant@bowtie6.com>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Moss supercharging question
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:49:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Joseph Grant wrote:

> OK, question about the SC kit:
>
> So suppose you spend the $3500 for the SC kit, plus the $750 for the damper,
> how much would be a good ballpark figure to estimate for 'optimizing' the
> rest of the engine?

Balance - $400
crank prep - $300 - $1000 ($1k would include nitriding, which is a good
idea)
Bearings - $100, plus or minus
Rods - $300 to prep stock rods up to $2500 for Carillo (Carillos were $360
each, last time I checked)
Misc. seals / gaskets - $100 or so.

So, the bottom end is $1100 for basic stuff up to and well over $4k if you
pull out all the stops. It assumes that you're starting with a good crank,
too. If not, toss in another $100 to $300 for a good crank.

Don't forget the dampener - $500 for the part and another $250 - $500 for
fitment.

>  Would another $4000 do the trick (that would be for
> crank/rods/pistons/etc)?  Or would that figure be too low?

It's def. a good ballpark. $5k would def. do it.

It's also overkill for a street motor.

$5k plus a supercharger (hint - buy the kit if/when a discount applies,
you'll save a LOT). That's $5k for all the good stuff in the motor. If you
do it right, you can make a lot more than 140 to the wheels, so this is
actually pretty reasonable considering what you are doing / getting.

Regarding the comment about using an alternate power plant, this is
exactly why some folks go that route. They don't see the cost / benefit of
tweaking the stock motor far, far beyond the design specs. But some if us
get our kicks by tweaking the motors... viva la difference!

> Joe
> '72 TR6 - CC77169
> http://www.bowtie6.com/

regards,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489