RE: [6pack] Moss supercharging question

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Moss supercharging question
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:50:36 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I replied to Stan off-list with a shorter message indicating exactly what
Vance says. The key here - TR6 cranks are def. a weak spot as they are
highly stressed owing to the over-square design and the four main
bearings.

If _I_ were to do a supercharger setup, the first thing I'd do is get a
serious crank dampener on there. Of course, I'd do that if I were building
a normally aspirated race motor too!

But if you want to boost your motor, you have to think about what you can
do to keep things reliable. Keeping the crank in one piece is a good
start.

Along those lines, pretty much the entire bottom end of the motor should
be "optimized" if you want to start building power. So include balancing
everything as well as making sure the rods are perfect (better still, try
a set of 4130 rods from Pauter or Saenz or Carillo) to get things rock
solid. _Then_ go for increased compression or boosting.

Richard Good had an ATI dampener on his TR6 at VTR... he said a kit would
be expensive, like in the $750 to $1000 range (probably more towards $1k,
BTW). But compare that to the cost of obtaining, tweaking, balancing and
all the other stuff to get your crank up to snuff and that looks like a
reasonable cost over time. Hint - write or ring Richard to get this
project going. :-)

Regards,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489