[6pack] Tranny no shiftee too easy

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Tranny no shiftee too easy
From: John Summers <rivers2hills@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 20:34:56 -0700 (PDT)
Was reading the John North/Seth Glassman interplay on
transmission shifting problems and can relate to
Seth's problem.  Uhhh, mine has been like that for
(promise not to hit me) - nine years.
Now I know this is blasphemy and all shame to me so no
need to rant.
Obviously this is a BAD situation and needs fixing or
else,,,,,

Now, when I had my new "bolt on" Webber DGV carbs
bolted on, the mechanic told me I needed to get the
crankshaft repaired.  Said I could replace thrust
washers but it had been his experience that with that
much wear they would just fall back into the oil pan.
He suggested pulling the crankshaft and having it
"built up" at the point of wear.  This would only cost
me $2,000.
Seems to me like I saw at the Racetorations or Rimmer
Brothers web site, information pertaining to a build
up similar to this, but having just visited the
Racetorations site, can't find it.  Never the less,
does 2k seem to be in the ball park for crankshaft
work?  Because, if it is 2k will buy some other type
engine of a modern variety.
Second question:  I remember seeing discussions of
putting a Toyota 5 speed transmission in to replace
our original 4 speed.  Of course I read all these
things and can't remember the where, when or who about
it.
Can someone refresh my memory?
Also, just to show how really deranged I am, is there
any reason that I - a man of minimal mechanical
ability no garage, and even less energy
can not repaint my TR6 by myself and expect to get a
reasonable result.  Not perfect, just reasonable.
What I have right now is badly faded, chipping paint
with some rust. And, I keep telling myself that I
can't spend the money to have all this stuff done
right as we are in our late 50s, I am at home taking
care of my very ill wife and living off of her
disability retirement pension and Social Security.
I bought the TR in '98 after drooling over it for 25
years and then in '99 she becams too ill to continue
working @ her 30 year six figure occupation.  Tough
luck, but it does take most of the fun out of the TR
hobby:)
Anyway, I'm listening.
John Summers
Jacksonville, FL