Re: OD disassembly

To: <adsl709847@tiscali.nl>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OD disassembly
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 08:03:26 -0700
Marc,

I pulled the OD unit from a complete OD gearbox I bought on ebay and the
filter was also clogged, mostly with flecks of brass.  Probably from the
brass synchros in the tranny perhaps caused by the wrong oil or just
wear and tear.  My guess is that the oil in both the OD and gearbox are
shared and is being circulated through this filter, so any debris in the
oil will get trapped by this filter.

AS for the speedometer gear, I would check with Overdrive Spares in
England, they seemed pretty knowledgeable about these things and they
were the only place that I could source a 7 start gear for the 75-76
U.S. cars.  My complete unit came with an 8 start gear, correct for the
73-74 cars, but I am not sure offhand if this is the right one for your
74 since the speedometer may be different for European cars.

Finally, I found that an impact wrench will get the flange nut off very
easily if you have one.

Best wishes for success.

John Lumia

76 TR6

Marc wrote:>

Findings: the OD has been apart at some point (judged by the amount of
gasket sealant and an interesting DPO fix); the oil inside was beyond
dirty; the filter was completely clogged and I am curious whether the OD
would have worked at all; and very interesting is the speedo drive gear
that has just 5 starts (should be 7 or 8 I thought) and is of metal and
rusty on top of that. And Vance, the clutch lining is about 50% but
rusty at the side where it has been resting against the brake ring.

I will revert to plan B and put to use the Volvo J type I had for
spares. At least the ATF fluid in that one was very clean. I wanted to
disassemble that one as well but didn't get anywhere today. I did
however manage to break my breaker bar on that one when trying to remove
the rear flange. It's never easy ;-)