Fw: OD disassembly

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: OD disassembly
From: "Marc Nederkoorn" <adsl709847@tiscali.nl>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 23:23:24 +0100
Hello list,

Here's an update: I got the OD apart. Here's what I did:
- I pulled of the rear housing with a puller. It did take some rigging so
the puller wouldn't slip. I used the OD/gearbox mounting point. With much
effort and a loud 'bang' the bearing broke loose from the Annulus and the
rear housing was of.
- With some tapping I was able to separate the Annulus from the Sliding
clutch.

Findings: the OD has been apart at some point (judged by the amount of
gasket sealant and an interesting DPO fix); the oil inside was beyond dirty;
the filter was completely clogged and I am curious whether the OD would have
worked at all; and very interesting is the speedo drive gear that has just 5
starts (should be 7 or 8 I thought) and is of metal and rusty on top of
that. And Vance, the clutch lining is about 50% but rusty at the side where
it has been resting against the brake ring.

I will revert to plan B and put to use the Volvo J type I had for spares. At
least the ATF fluid in that one was very clean. I wanted to disassemble that
one as well but didn't get anywhere today. I did however manage to break my
breaker bar on that one when trying to remove the rear flange. It's never
easy ;-)

To be continued,

Marc
'74 TR6 still awaiting OD transplant