RE: British racing Green

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>,
Subject: RE: British racing Green
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:33:54 -0600
>As for the color "british racing green", the line goes something like
>this: England's country color was green. Not dark green, not light green.
>Just green. To consider the range, look at the colour (!) of the AH
>Sprites that ran at LeMans the same year as the LeMans Spitfires ('63 or
>'64, I think). Those cars were a light green color while the Spitfires
>were dark green. But both teams were driving for Britain and hence wore
>the British country colour.
>
>So, technically, any green could be called British Racing Green.
>
>What any owner needs to do when considering a color change is to look
>around at the cars out there and pick one. If you "custom blend" the
>paint, you'll spend a lot of time trying to get the right balance between
>the pigments. This is true of green and any other colours that are mixed
>(and they are all mixed). For some of this is a problem because we are
>"pigment challenged". Look at my "silver" car some time if you need a
>point of reference. :-)

Aston Martin's color in the sixties was also a vary light silvery green. My
TR6 is very close to that color actually. It too is a color that seems to
confuse the "pigment challenged" as well.

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.triumphowners.com/79   (1972 TR6)
http://www.triumphowners.com/690  (1980 TR8)