BRG and paint colors generally

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: BRG and paint colors generally
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:16:31 -0400
The discussion of the "right" shade for BRG is somewhat moot. Every
manufacturer had a color with a name and that color varied from lot
to lot and year to year. I found that to be the case with Signal Red
when I painted my car. Compared with Signal Red for a TR3 or TR4, my
car is a different red, even though we matched to an original,
unfaded section of bodywork. I also learned how paint colors are
effected by the pigment recipe that makes them up. Reds can vary
widely with the amount of white, yellow or black the recipe contains.
I'm sure the same holds true for greens.

The bottom line is find the recipe for the color you like or the
manufacturer's code number and go from there.
--
Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (28 year owner)