Re: Spin on oil filter adaptor

To: phil@opentext.com
Subject: Re: Spin on oil filter adaptor
From: Davgil@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:55:08 EDT
Phil,
Like you I struggled with oil changes on my 76 TR6.  However, I have  used a
technique I learned while changing the oil filter on an airplane (which  is
installed in the airplane in a horizontal position).  Put a plastic bag  around
the cannister before changing and drop the cannister into this bag prior  to
manipulation and you can reduce (not eliminate) the oil all over the engine
and frame.  It is usually helpful to hold the bag open for a minute or two  and
catch the draining oil before removing the old filter.  I have never  tried
it, but I have considered using a zip-lock bag and zipping it closed after  the
cannister drops into it to try to keep the additional spill to a  minimum.  I
now have a spin-off oil filter and it is much easier, but the  plastic bag
trick is still helpful.
David