Re: Rear Springs

To: Steve Hanselman <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Springs
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:58:50 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Steve Hanselman wrote:

> I know that this has probably been covered several times, but you never
> really absorb anything till you need it.

Mes ouis! As the French might say.

> How can you tell if "stock" springs are installed in the rear end. then
> secondly and more importantly where should I look for replacements that are
> reasonably close to stock.  I am not looking to "improve" the ride just make
> it stable

If you have stock springs on your car, the rear will be _very easy_ to
push down. It will also "squat" under acceleration, to the point of
bottoming out on the upper bump stops.

Over the years, Triumph increased the spring rate a bit and most dealers
would install the newer springs as replacements when people complained
(they also had spacers and different trailing arm pivot brackets to
address these issues.)

If your springs are original, they have likely outlasted thier intended
service life. Most of the vendors carry springs that'll work for you -
just make sure that you are clear what you want - a stock replacement
spring, not a performance spring.

> Thanks
>
> Steve Hanselman
> TR6@kc4sw.com

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |