Re: Fwd: Rear Springs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fwd: Rear Springs
From: "Matt M." <afterburn27@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 18:23:12 -0700 (PDT)
"Removing the rear springs is actually pretty easy.
Jack up the rear of
the car and remove the wheels.  Put a jack under the
trailing arm and
jack it up a bit (to take pressure off the shock).
Disconnect the
shock link from the trailing arm.  Slowly lower the
trailing arm with
the jack.  Pull out the spring.  You may need to
disconnect the axle
shaft from the diff to allow the trailing arm to come
down far enough
to remove the spring.

New stock grade springs are available from all the
usual TR parts
suppliers.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6"

When replacing the rear springs don't forget to
disconnect the brake line. Also, I didn't have to
disconnect the axle shaft, when it got stuck I just
wiggled the shaft until the u-joints were in the right
position and down she came. :)

One other note - When jacking the rear trailing arm up
with the new spring installed, be careful not to jack
the whole car up as once enough tension builds up in
the spring, the car will begin to lift off the jack
stands. This can usually be solved by moving the jack
as far back as possible on the trailing arm to gain
leverage.

Hope this helps, I just rebuilt my rear suspension
recently and installed new springs twice... doh! Don't
ask why. ;) It seems everything has to be done at
least twice if not three times before its right.

                                -Matt '74 TR6
http://faith.yahoo.com