Re: TRF headers [was "Magic Clutch" Kit by TRF]

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TRF headers [was "Magic Clutch" Kit by TRF]
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 12:02:48 -0400
Shane,

I agree with some of your points, but take issue with many more.

First, in your previous post you didn't state that your $100 estimate was
for rear wheel hp, but even so, I think I it is too high.

In your first paragraph, you took my lower figure of 24 hp, not the total hp
of 40 (seen on Kastner's table). What would 40 hp at the crank look like at
the rear wheels.

I agree that I don't have 10:1, but is the difference in .5 compression that
great?

When Kastner says stock in his manual, I take him at his word. If he worked
up the bottom of his motor, it is not stock. Further, my head has been
ported and matched per Vizard's instructions. A bit more than just shaved.

Time will tell if I should have beefed-up the bottom first. Since it is not
a daily driver, I'm betting that I'll not see the need to do this.

Finally, I think the cost per hp is very dependant upon where you start from
and where you end. The cheapest hp gains are at the bottom of the curve and
the most expensive are at the top. I took my engine from stock to a point
part way up the curve. Any gains at this point will cost well in excess of
$100 per hp.

In conclusion, a question. What was the rear wheel hp of a stock 250? Based
upon discussion so far, I'm thinking the 105 number was crank hp.

Peter
'68 TR250 (? hp, maybe I'll get it on a dyno one day)(oh yeah, a blast to
drive)