Re: Brake Failure Warning Switch Wiring

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Failure Warning Switch Wiring
From: John Griffiths <John.Griffiths@uregina.ca>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 19:46:50 -0500
Peter:

First, absolute credit for this info goes to Nelson Reidel who does all
the great articles for the Buckeye Triumph site. I have recent and
intimate knowledge of the PDWA and the extra wire of which you speak.
Believe it or not it um... it connects to nothing. Just a little tweak
from the Prince of Darkness. I realize the connector that plugs into
the actual PDWA has two wires. One is no doubt black with a purple
tracer. The other is likely black. Th B/P one comes directly from your
warning light and is a ground. It's only completed though when the PDWA
is off-centre and a plunger is therefore pushed up and completes the
ground circuit lighting the light. The light should be dim when you
start the car and extinguish as soon as the oil pressure switch kicks
in. They're all part of a system which includes the anti run-on valve.
If you run the extra wire (I'm assuming it's black) to ground
with the PDWA connected (key on) you'll find the light stays on all the
time the key is on because you're effectively doing the job of the
plunger. You'll notice if you look inside the connector that the two
wires are hard-wired together. Go figure. I cut mine off (again the
extra black) at about an inch and taped it to the B/P to neaten it up.
Works perfectly. I could NOT figure out what I was doing wrong. Nelson,
I hope I learned this correctly. Thanks again.

John

'73 TR6 to be "safetied" in Spring, '80 Honda CB 900 Custom (bike), '96
Volvo 850 Turbo, '95 VW GTI VR6, '91 Chevy Sprint (WHAT???)