RE: "Magic Clutch" Kit by TRF

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: "Magic Clutch" Kit by TRF
From: Murry Mercier <trsixer@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 06:54:18 -0700 (PDT)
All,

I have installed and have been using the "Magic" kit from TRF for >
8,000 miles. All components in clutch system were new from TRF at
installation including the pilot bearing which was "staked".

After the "Binary"/"Sticky" condition was corrected @ ~5,000 miles the
operation has been flawless.  Less pedal pressure and smooth operation
are the main observations from the earlier clutches.

The first 5,000 was under the "sticky clutch" conditions, which
developed at about 1,000 Miles after the trip to Little Switzerland NC
TRials.  See Nelson's clutch Tech articles on the
http://www.BuckeyeTriumphs.org web site. The wear on the pressure plate
springs is well documented (see photo) and probably was caused mainly
by improper surface preparation on the TOB sleeve and gearbox front
cover (slide surface for the TOB sleeve). The mass of the Toyota
bearing and the hydraulic/linkage design also contributed.  Impossible
to rank these causes except that the system is continuing to operate
well including the drive from Ohio to Oklahoma and back for TRials
2001.

We will document any additional wear to the pressure plate springs when
the swap to "Reliable" occurs. This may shed some light on how much
wear is due to the heavy bearing.

The clutch operation has functioned well since Nelson properly prepared
the surfaces.  I have not replaced the "Magic" components under the
rule "if it works leave it alone".  I do expect to replace clutch
before the 15,000 mark.

I have a rebuilt "J" OD Tanny from a '76 TR6 to go in place of the 1964
TR4A unit currently installed to bring drive train up to the late TR6
status and at that time I plan change the clutch to Nelson's "Reliable"
system.

Stay tuned for more reports when conditions change.

Murry Mercier
Buckeye TRIUMPHS
Host for 6-PACK
TRials 2002
1973 TR6 CF10027U
1980 TR8

PS Thanks for all those that endured the rain and enjoyed the comradery
at TRials 2002...see you in Bowling Green KY next September.
http://sbc.yahoo.com