Re: TR-6 Speedometer for OD Tranny

To: Patrick Bitton <pbitton@axess.com>
Subject: Re: TR-6 Speedometer for OD Tranny
From: "David J Stauffacher" <dstauffa@csc.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 08:05:29 -0700
Patrick,

The 1000/1120 designation on the speedometer had nothing to do with whether
or not the car has an overdrive transmission.   The overdrive unit does not
effect the speedometer reading because the speedometer cable output is
after the OD unit!   The 1000/1120 indicates the number of drive shaft
revolutions per mile:  the 1000 is for the 3:45 rear end ratio, the 1120 is
for the 3:7 ratio.

David J. Stauffacher
1970 TR6 CP51649 ... with the 3:45 ratio
Ramona, California

                    Patrick

                    Bitton               To:     6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Triumph
                    <pbitton             <triumphs@autox.team.net>

                    @axess.com>          cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     TR-6 Speedometer for OD
Tranny
                    owner-6pack

                    10/02/2002

                    09:26 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    Patrick

                    Bitton

Someone on Ebay is selling a speedometer that claims it's for OD
transmissions. I asked him the difference and he told me that "Revolutions
are different for the OD compared to the non OD. One is 1000 and the other
is 1120." Is this true? Do I need to replace my speedometer to get a right
reading? It seems that when I feel that I am going 50km/h, the reading is
about 30km/h. Has anyone experienced this while doing this conversion?

Thanks,

Patrick