Re: More "Tow Vehicles" - This Time a Saab

To: <vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net>, <twobees@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: More "Tow Vehicles" - This Time a Saab
From: "Roger Sieling" <Rogsie@telesistech.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 07:50:53 -0400
Norm,

I tow pretty lite with an Explorer, but I think you just might need a sanity
check. You DO need a truck. Even a RWD mini van such as a Aerostar or Chev
Astro at a minimum would be better than what you've proposed. There are a few
enclosed trailers that do weigh that little, very few. But by the time you add
a few tools and spares and oh, lets take a couple of lawn chairs and wouldn't
it be nice to have a generator and it's so hot that it would be nice to have
some shade, even a 10 x 10 ezup, don't forget the cooler. Before you know it,
even packing light, you've added 1000-1500#, maybe 2000. And it keeps on
creaping upward. Oh, don't forget a jack and maybe a jack stand or two and a
couple of plywood squares to sit them on. Even three layers of nomex, shoes,
arm restraints and helmet will be 15#. Hanging a 4000# trailer on the back of
a Saab, any Saab car, with any engine will be suicidal, if it doesn't lift the
front wheels off the ground. Even a trailex behind your Saab will be much less
than satisfactory.

Roger

>>> "N" <twobees@sprynet.com> 07/05/01 08:58PM >>>
Hello Fellow Listers (As opposed to 4-wheeled Listers).

I don't want to buy a truck as I have no need for one.  I do have a Saab 9-5
with A/T & 200 h.p. V-6.  The Factory suggested towing weight is only 2,000
lbs.  However, I suspect it is capable of more as they don't differentiate
between the 3 engines available in Saabs nor between A/T & manual.

Anyone have any experience with a passenger car of this size?  I have an
opportunity to buy an enclosed trailer at a good price.  But, it has a
MaxGVW of 3500#.  And, in my conversation with the factory rep he indicates
the trailer weighs about 2,000# alone.  Is that possible for an enclosed 6 x
15 trailer?  Or do I have to bite the bullet & buy an open Trailex at 680#?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB
'59 Turner Mk.1