Re: More "Tow Vehicles" - This Time a Saab

To: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>,
Subject: Re: More "Tow Vehicles" - This Time a Saab
From: "Mike Cobine" <mcobine@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 22:51:52 -0400
I have no experience with the Saab, but the weight of the trailer is
probably quite easily that.  Trailers are heavy, regardless of the aluminum
and plastic.  The U-Haul "Auto Transporter" orange 14 ft trailer is around
1800 pounds.  The aluminum Ryder open trailer is 1760 lbs.  I had a simple
homemade two gas station ramps, mobile home axles, and cross bracing that
weighed 1775.  A friend's modern 14 ft. "lightweight" open trailer with
aluminum runners weighs 1450 lbs.

I don't know where you'll find a 700 lb. trailer, at least one that can haul
a car.  My motorcycle trailer weighs about 300 lbs., is quite light single
runner, and is maxxed on the 800 lb bike.  To carry a 2000 lb car, you'd
need 3 of these and that would be 900 lbs. and I really wouldn't think much
of something like that.

The weight rating of a vehicle has several factors, not just motor.

You have tongue weight.  It pushes the back down, so how are the rear car
springs?  Wheel bearings, rear tires, shocks, etc.

You have towed weight that shoves you and resists you.  Do you have the
brakes to handle it?  Mounting area for the hitch strong enough?  u-joints,
rear axle gear (or other drive gears), transmission, clutch, torque
converter, etc.

If it were only motor, then that '37 pickup would have been fine by dropping
a 454 BBC in there, right?  Mechanical brakes, so what?

If Saab says 2000 lbs towing, then 3000 lbs may be the real max, but then
you are maxxed out.  Don't even think of loading a toolbox or spare tires or
food or a cooler.  Forget the 4 friends riding with you.