Re: Ecurie Ecosse

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Ecurie Ecosse
From: ply@adtrading.com (Patrick Young)
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 08:19:26 +0100
>On Fri, 5 Dec 1997 VEENET@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Can someone give me a quick rundown on the origins of Ecurie Ecosse????Does
>> it still exist? What exactly do the words Ecurie Ecosse mean?Thanks..Jerry
>> Burr

Gregory Petrolati mentioned the recent history of Ecurie Ecosse. As I
understand it, the team is currently in hubernation once again. David Muray
closed the team in the 1960's and then a group of folk led by Hugh McCaig
and Graham Gauld, reformed Ecurie Ecosse in the early 1980s. They eventually
won the world Group C2 endurance championship with their own Ray Mallock
proprietary chassis before the team had some involvement with the Aston
Martin project also developed by Ray Mallock and when this was canned after
Ford bought Aston Martin, the team re-entered hibernaton once again.

Incidentally, Jim Clark was perhaps most notably associated in Scottish
racing with the Ecurie Ecosse's major rivals, the Border Reivers in his
early racing career.

The dinner at Le Mans in 1987 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the
team's Le Mans victory was a riot incidentally!

Oh, and if you haven't all read the Graham Gauld history of Ecurie Ecosse,
then get out and buy a copy - it's entertainingly written, by a great
raconteur and has some great photographs, - modesty forbids me from
mentioning which ones I took of course!

Regards,

Patrick

- whaddya mean what's an Irishman doing being associated with Ecurie Ecosse?
Has everybody forgotten Desmond Titterington?