Re: Ecurie Ecosse

To: VEENET@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ecurie Ecosse
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 17:14:09 -0600 (CST)
On Fri, 5 Dec 1997 VEENET@aol.com wrote:

> Can someone give me a quick rundown on the origins of Ecurie Ecosse????Does
> it still exist? What exactly do the words Ecurie Ecosse mean?Thanks..Jerry
> Burr

        Ecurie Ecosse Is translated to "Scottish Stable" to the founders
        it sounded nicer than "Scuderia Scotti" which would have been the
        "trendy" Italian counterpart. Basicly it's the Scottish racing
        team... A private club who's founder felt it was na excellent
        opportunity to showcase Scottish Drivers.

        Boy, did it ever work! Innes Ireland, (I think) Duncan Hamilton,
        Archie Scott Brown, Jim Clark, The "Wee Scott Hisself" (Jackie
        Stewart) are just a few of alumni of Ecurie Ecosse. They had an
        "arrangement" with Jaguar that started off with them buyin XK120s
        "at a price" from the factory. Then then got "cast off" C types.
        Despite tight budgets the "private racing club"won Lemans. I think
        Ecurie Ecosse survived into the 90s, but I'm not sure (I haven't
        finished the book, yet).

        Ecurie Ecosse is a name to conjure with to British car lovers!

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois