Re: Ecurie Ecosse

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Ecurie Ecosse
From: CTPJ <CTPJ@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 22:16:41 EST
WST,

According to Graham Gauld's book Ecurie Ecosse, the Austin Healey Sprite was
built for, and raced at the 1961 Le Mans by the team. The drivers that day
were Ninian Sanderson (winner of the '56 race & second in '57) and Bill
MacKay. The car was crashed in the race with Mackay at the wheel.  That was
the only race that the car was raced by EE.  I recently corresponded with a
gentleman in the Chicago area who said that he had owned that car until
recently (sorry I have no info on the chassis no.)

To my knowledge there are three EE cars in the U.S. In addition to the Sprite,
there is a Tojeiro-Jag owned by a man in South Florida and the team's 1960
Cooper Monaco Mk II which is owned by me.  I have owned the car since 1970
when I purchased it in Scotland from Major Edward Thompson.  Major Thompson
was the benefactor of the team and owned a number of the teams cars including
the Type D Jag that won the '56 Le Mans.

The Cooper was the was raced from 1960 to 1964 and was entered in 33 races by
EE (more than any other car raced by EE) The car had an impressive history:

          17 Firsts
            5 Thirds
           28 top 10's
            5 Retirements

Drivers included; Tommy Dickson, Roy Salvadori, Jack Brabham, Bruce Halford,
Jimmy Blumer, and Jackie Stewart. Besides racing at tracks in England, the car
was raced at Watkins Glenn, Riverside, Laguna Seca, Nurburgring and Le Mans.
The car is nearing the end of a 2 1/2 year ground up restoration and will
hopefully be at a number of vintage events next year.

I have much more info on EE and stay in touch with some of the origional team
members. So, if I can be of any further assistance, please contact me.

Todd