Re: Ecurie Ecosse

To: "Gregory Petrolati" <gpetrola@prairienet.org>, <VEENET@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Ecurie Ecosse
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 22:07:16 -0600
Greg,
do you find any mention of one Jamie McKay among the Scot
drivers?  I visited with his son, Jock, in Scrabster,
Scotland back in '89.  From the number of photos taken of
Jamie with Jackie Stewart and Jimmy Clark and letters to
Jamie from both Clark & Stewart, he must have been a quite a
competitor in Scotland . . . Jock said he didn't venture far
from home.  Jock is restoring Jamie's Lotus Eleven.

>       Ecurie Ecosse Is translated to "Scottish Stable" to the
founders
>       it sounded nicer than "Scuderia Scotti" which would have
been the
>       "trendy" Italian counterpart. Basicly it's the Scottish
racing
>       team... A private club who's founder felt it was na
excellent
>       opportunity to showcase Scottish Drivers.
>
>       Boy, did it ever work! Innes Ireland, (I think) Duncan
Hamilton,
>       Archie Scott Brown, Jim Clark, The "Wee Scott Hisself"
(Jackie
>       Stewart) are just a few of alumni of Ecurie Ecosse. They
had an
>       "arrangement" with Jaguar that started off with them buyin
XK120s
>       "at a price" from the factory. Then then got "cast off" C
types.
>       Despite tight budgets the "private racing club"won Lemans.
I think