Re: Starting Problem

To: sdaniels@gorge.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starting Problem
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:39:12 EST
In a message dated 01-03-12 21:39:27 EST, sdaniels@gorge.net writes:

<< My 6 has been running rich.  There's black soot all over the rear
 bumper, and the tailpipes are seriously black.  I just did a
 fairly complete ignition tune up, and the car runs a *lot*
 better.  What are the chances it doesn't run rich any more?
 Could the improved spark be doing a better job of burning the
 fuel, rather than just pumping it out the back? >>

Steve,

Yes, the "improved spark" will burn the fuel charge more effectively but if
the soot conditions were as bad as you describe, the ignition fix is probably
not going to solve the rich burning issue.  Have you checked/set your mixture
and balanced the carbs?

When I bought my Spit it also ran very rich - sooty tailpipe. Compression was
good so I did a full ignition tuneup and then tackled the carbs....whew, were
they off!  Not only were the jets set too rich, the balance was really out of
wack.  A little tweak and turn following the manual (I didn't use any mixture
devices like colortune, etc.) and presto...a smooth running engine (just the
right amount of "idle gurgle") with just a hint of richness in the tailpipe
(better a little rich then lean).

All of that said, I don't have other maladies that could prevent you from
getting a good mixture setting....worn throttle shafts, worn seats/needles,
bad/stuck float valves, etc. so be aware of these gremlins if you're still
having trouble......give it a go, if you screw it up, we're here!

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (chassis finished - busy grinding & sanding the body - check
out my progress by visiting
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1270980)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (soon to shed its winter covers!)

///
///