RE: Starting Problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Starting Problem
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:25:00 -0800
DANMAS@aol.com wrote :

> Yes, coil do sometimes get weaker with age. I assume it's because the
> windings inside short to each other, effectively reducing the number of
> windings.

Another possibility is insulation breakdown, limiting the amount of voltage
that can be produced without having it leak to ground through either the
bakelite top or the internal insulation.  Takes more voltage to fire a plug
under compression than in free air ...

I've also seen a coil develop a carbon track between the center terminal and
a side terminal.

ISTR that electrical transformers like those in the power line to your house
are normally considered to have a 30 year lifetime (was 50 before they
banned PCBs), so perhaps our original coils are reaching the end of their
lifetime.  (Anyone know if Lucas coils have PCB oil ?)

Randall

///
///