Re: TR6 rear wheel camber probs

To: "INTERNET:rgb@exact.com" <rgb@exact.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Re: TR6 rear wheel camber probs
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 12:25:57 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:rgb@exact.com
>I hate to argue the point, but the rear trailing arm hinge line should
be the same on both sides.   I've seen several references to using this
to adjust chamber while sitting.   What you're really doing is changing
the caster/camber/toe-in..   don't believe you want different behaviour
on each side.   JK Jackson did alot of research into using this to
enhance handling for Autocross, but never to adjust camber.<

I agree, due to the angle of the trailing arm. A hinge change will alter
toe-in, and to an even lesser degree (AFAICT) caster.  Most likely, the caster
change will not be significant, but who can tell?  It is clearly superior to
find the cause of the malaligment and fix it rather than patch it.

However it may be impossible to find/fix the underlying problem, but it
ought to tried.  If the repair fails for whatever reason, then it is better
to patch the problem rather than leave a major difference side-to-side.

First, using a spacer one could try to raise ride height, and this will
induce more positive camber slightly.

If I remember the original problem, the sagging side had more positive camber
(seems counter-intuitive, but I THINK that was the problem as stated.)

Now that ride height is about right, then correct the camber with the
brackets.  Kastner even talks about filling and re-drilling the brackets
to suit the application.

When the camber is about right, then adjust toe-in with shims and re-check
the camber.  HOpefully it is close enough to symmetrical.  How close is close
enough?  I guess +/- 0.25 degree?  The range of cambers is usually about a half
degree, then I think the symmetry ought to be within half of that half
degree....

Same goes for the toe-in.

WHile I agree in principle with your position that the hardware OUGHT to be
symmetrical on each side, it is not necessarily bad that the trailing arm
mountings are not symmetrical.

ASSUMING the trailing arms themselves are symmetrical, since we are placing the
trailing arms in the exact same positions (mirror image) with all the hardware
relative to each other, then they ought to track the way we intend.

I don't think it makes all that much difference to the car exactly what
brackets and shim arrangement it takes to get this alignment.

It does make a difference to some degree if the tire loading (weight on the
tire)
is significantly different due to frame bending!

-Tony

caster, but remem