TR6 rear wheel camber probs

To: Skip Montanaro <skip@mojam.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: TR6 rear wheel camber probs
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 10:51:56 -0400
Message text written by Skip Montanaro
>>   the right rear wheel is exhibiting noticeable positive camber, and ride
>>    height is approximately one inch higher on the right rear.  ...  The car
>>    had the same problem with the 30 year old stock springs that I replaced,
>>    but I had assumed that it was due to uneven, driver-side-only spring
>>    sag.

>I just had both the front and rear springs off my TR250.  I couldn't tell
>the difference right-to-left for either pair of springs.  I would expect
>that if there was some sag you'd notice some difference even unloaded.
>
>Is your frame twisted or bent perhaps (bad thought, but a possibility to
>consider)?<

Well, that certainly does seem to be the only option if there are new springs
of equal length.  Something would have to be bent somewhere unless there
is a really screwy mix up of trailing arm brackets used.  Also might be
a bracket-to-frame problem.

The best answer is to find the problem and fix it.  It might be possible
to mask it by raising the ride height on the low side by adding a spacer
on top of the spring.  I believe that the ratio of spacer to ride height
is 5/8 : 1.  I.e.  A 5/8" spacer will raise the height an inch, and change the
camber marginally.  First order of business is to correct the camber with
brackets and then adjust ride height witha spacer.  When using the brackets,
use the ones with the lowest possible holes (3U, 2D, 1U, I think)), but to
correct that much camber problem, you may have no choice about brackets

-Tony