Re: Cylinder Heads - differences?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Cylinder Heads - differences?
From: "David Armitage" <David.Armitage@nottingham.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 09:46:30 +0100
Hi Kevin,

My UK spec MkII has a 4-2-1 tubular manifold (which is a pain as the joint with
the pipe is beneath the car and difficult to separate). I think this is
original. Have a look at:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/cgi-bin/rimmer.bat?spitfire/exhaust#Mk2%20-%20Standard%20Exhaust%20System%20&%20Mountings

Cheers,

David

>>> Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com> 05/15/03 12:46am >>>
I seem to have confused everyone - apologies! I am talking about the
exhaust manifold, NOT the cylinder head! Perhaps the confusion is because I
mentioned going from a tubular header back to the OEM cast iron manifold.
Big lump of cast iron, THREE places for the exhaust to enter, ONE for it to
go out. Am simply wondering if Triumph ever made one that actually matches
the FOUR ports in the head. The gaskets all seem to have four individual
ports, leaving that center divider bit of the gasket flapping in a rather
hot breeze. Nothing remotely tubular about the OEM exhaust manifold. :-)
The exhaust passages are more or less square until they blend together into
the outlet flange area. Or do I have some really screwball Stanpart
replacement manifold - I swear the part number cast into it matches all the
catalogs for a MKII (maybe newer too - at least until emissions era)
exhaust manifold.

Kevin