Re: Cylinder Heads - differences?

To: "Joe Curry" <Spitlist@gte.net>, "Kevin Rhodes"
Subject: Re: Cylinder Heads - differences?
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 09:31:36 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>

> I seem to have confused everyone - apologies!

I think I've understood what you're saying, I just don't agree!

> I am talking about the
> exhaust manifold, NOT the cylinder head! Perhaps the confusion is because I
> mentioned going from a tubular header back to the OEM cast iron manifold.
> Big lump of cast iron, THREE places for the exhaust to enter, ONE for it to
> go out. Am simply wondering if Triumph ever made one that actually matches
> the FOUR ports in the head.

Yes they did - ALL of the cast minifolds I have are made this way with 4
distinct ports. I'm not saying there aren't others, but I've never seen a 3
port manifold for one of 'our' engines.

>  The gaskets all seem to have four individual
> ports, leaving that center divider bit of the gasket flapping in a rather
> hot breeze. Nothing remotely tubular about the OEM exhaust manifold. :-)

On a MkII it should be tubular. Mk1 was cast (part number 306212), Mk2 was
tubular (part number 307270). The MkIII reverted to a cast manifold, albeit a
different design (part number 308086) compatible with the redesigned head of
the 1296cc engines.

> The exhaust passages are more or less square until they blend together into
> the outlet flange area. Or do I have some really screwball Stanpart
> replacement manifold - I swear the part number cast into it matches all the
> catalogs for a MKII (maybe newer too - at least until emissions era)
> exhaust manifold.

Well you can be sure that a manifold with ANYTHING cast on it didn't begin life
on a MkII Spitfire,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--